Bill Cooney dies

Discuss people, hunters, jumpers, equitation, horses, and ponies.

Bill Cooney dies

Postby hellokitty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:56 pm

Announced by Phelps. Apparently he was brain dead.
hellokitty

Re: Bill Cooney dies

Postby inthedark » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:14 pm

from Mason's FB page
Jill Renick Townsend Mason, I just spoke to Michael and no one has pulled a plug yet. He slipped in the shower and is on life support in CA but is still alive. They have requested that anyone posting differently to please remove their posts.
inthedark

Postby horsepuckies » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:18 pm

I think it was absolutely disgusting of Mason to write that "they pulled the plug." God forbid anyone every has to make that type of decision, but to have it characterized that way is just beyond dirty. It just validates what kind of PR guy he is.
horsepuckies

Postby hellokitty » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 pm

My apologies. Please delete Diva.
hellokitty

Postby 2jonesy » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:18 pm

He's been brain dead for the last 15 years,what's new.
2jonesy

Postby el insider » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:04 am

that douchebag kim tudor had it on her facebook that he died so it must be true we know how much she loves writing about alla the ailing/dying/dead horse ppl. always intrigued by ppls comments when death occurs. death is not an accomplishment.
el insider

Postby ShutUpAndRide » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 pm

surprised ijump showbiz hasn't sent out a full email with descriptions and photos yet.
ShutUpAndRide

Postby grande62 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Sad statement on a sad life! He was a brilliant producer of champions for the show ring,and look how he ended up..a useless drug thief/ addict that alienated most everyone that ever tried to help him. Slipped in the shower and the plug was pulled....omg..let that be a lesson kiddies...so very sad..and I was a fan back in the day. :(
grande62

Postby el insider » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:00 pm

i didnt like bill so it doesnt affect my life one way or another. what always amazes me with death come the accolades and testimonials from ppl who most likely had written him off and or had some issue with him my absolute favorite and the grand prize goes to lauren hough proclaiming her undying "love" for him i didnt know lauren hough even had a heart to love anyone i hope she and all these others are ready to contribute to his medical expenses and funeral.honorable mention goes to sue ashe (whos looking more and more like the puppet from punch and judy) who said something like "the demons have left him finally" or something really profound like that.
el insider

Postby hermit » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Wow El I can't wait to read all the tributes to you when you meet your maker.... Oh that's right you don't have the brass to identify yourself... Show some respect for once in your useless life nobody gives a s__t if you liked him or not
hermit

Postby crowned jewel » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:34 pm

Hmmm hunter trainers as doped as their horses!
crowned jewel

Postby el insider » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:04 am

for sure hermit i will have the "brass" to identify myself as soon as u and the other 2 thousand some members of the board readily identify yourselves as well.
el insider

Postby Premier Pony Mom » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:46 am

I didn't know Bill Cooney, but over the years I have known many addicts. It doesn't matter to the brain whether you start with nicotine, cocaine, SSRI's or pain meds. Your brain chemistry changes drastically. The longer you use the drug, the more it will disrupt your life. Quitting is not simple and slip ups are the norm. It can take more than a year sober to even begin to feel normal. Most 'recovered' addicts usually swap out for another kind of addiction that is more socially acceptable.
No one will argue that Bill Cooney was a great instructor and horseman at the peak of his career. Lets remember him as he was at his best, which is, I'm sure, how we'd all like to be remembered as well. And for all of you divas who routinely ingest your Rx Vicodin or Percocet, your Ambien, your anti-depressants, your double martinis, or your cigarettes......give them up for a month or two (no cheating now) and see how well your 'demons' behave.
RIP Bill Cooney.
Premier Pony Mom

Postby complimentary » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:24 am

First of all, El Insider "Death is not an Accomplishment" is so brilliant, I love it and it is sooooo true.
I completely agree that when someone known dies in the horse world everyone is suddenly that person's best friend and wants "IN" on that popularity. LOTS or revisionists out there.
But most people who are claiming to be his Bestie had NOTHING to do with him over his 15-20 year decline.

Bill in his hay day was one of the best, no question. (He also prepped horses in a way I never would agree with but) he produced a tremendous line of champions that no one can take away from him.
He was also less than a nice person to anyone who wasn't "IN" the money train for him.
The first time he came down to earth was about twenty years ago when he got out of a long rehab. He was clear headed, warm and friendly but I did hope he could remain clean.
The past decade plus most people walked far away from him and his decline was horrid and his OD episodes frequent and many public. He eventually alienated even his closest friends who quite literally babysat him.
I doubt anyone could have helped him, every time I heard of another episode I was surprised he had survived yet another one. And that type of addiction is just beyond sad.
His death was no surprise and frankly for the quality of life he was leading, it may have been a blessing.
I do think Mason Phelps should not be allowed to be in PR. Anyone who writes a death announcement as "they pulled the plug" is a total asswipe in my book.
I am glad some people are writing nice things about Bill, his addiction overtook his life but it was not the whole of his life.
complimentary

Postby grande62 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:23 pm

Complimentary, very well said.
grande62

Postby incognito » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:43 pm

Premier Pony Mom wrote:I didn't know Bill Cooney, but over the years I have known many addicts. It doesn't matter to the brain whether you start with nicotine, cocaine, SSRI's or pain meds. Your brain chemistry changes drastically. The longer you use the drug, the more it will disrupt your life. Quitting is not simple and slip ups are the norm. It can take more than a year sober to even begin to feel normal. Most 'recovered' addicts usually swap out for another kind of addiction that is more socially acceptable.
No one will argue that Bill Cooney was a great instructor and horseman at the peak of his career. Lets remember him as he was at his best, which is, I'm sure, how we'd all like to be remembered as well. And for all of you divas who routinely ingest your Rx Vicodin or Percocet, your Ambien, your anti-depressants, your double martinis, or your cigarettes......give them up for a month or two (no cheating now) and see how well your 'demons' behave.
RIP Bill Cooney.

f*ck you, you f*cking c*ntbag. its because of twats like you that there are so many misconceptions regarding medically verified DISEASES - would you call cancer or diabetes meds "addictive" and that you should "quit"? to some people - pain medication and "SSRIs" ARE LIFE OR DEATH. how dare you compare them with illegal narcotics that serve NO FUNCTION OTHER THAN BEING HIGH. do you really want to shame someone who is clinically (or suicidally) depressed because they need medication to fix the chemical imbalance in their brain?

kindly f*ck right the f*ck off and go f*ck yourself with every f*cking cactus in the garden department of your nearest Wally World
incognito

Postby Premier Pony Mom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:18 am

incognito wrote:
Premier Pony Mom wrote:I didn't know Bill Cooney, but over the years I have known many addicts. It doesn't matter to the brain whether you start with nicotine, cocaine, SSRI's or pain meds. Your brain chemistry changes drastically. The longer you use the drug, the more it will disrupt your life. Quitting is not simple and slip ups are the norm. It can take more than a year sober to even begin to feel normal. Most 'recovered' addicts usually swap out for another kind of addiction that is more socially acceptable.
RIP Bill Cooney.

f*ck you, you f*cking c*ntbag. its because of twats like you that there are so many misconceptions regarding medically verified DISEASES - would you call cancer or diabetes meds "addictive" and that you should "quit"? to some people - pain medication and "SSRIs" ARE LIFE OR DEATH. how dare you compare them with illegal narcotics that serve NO FUNCTION OTHER THAN BEING HIGH. do you really want to shame someone who is clinically (or suicidally) depressed because they need medication to fix the chemical imbalance in their brain?

kindly f*ck right the f*ck off and go f*ck yourself with every f*cking cactus in the garden department of your nearest Wally World

Incognito, be assured, after your rant, that I would never suggest you give up your meds, whatever they are, although I do suggest an anger management class. I understand that there are many physically ill persons and their need for medication has never been in question. I also know that you can get pain meds for a minor injury and become dependent. I know most psychiatrists don't look for solutions to cure mental disorders. Rather, they prescribe whatever their sales force is pushing that month. If it doesn't work, they'll enhance it with a modifying drug, or keep changing meds in a vain effort to find a pill that works. Many mental and emotional issues can be hormonal in origin but shrinks rarely look for a cause or a cure.,,,,merely an effective bandaid.
I would never question a persons need for medication as long as they were fully informed of the long term consequences, but addiction is real, it affects a large segment of the population, and it is damn near impossible to disengage without a huge desire and an even larger base of support. If you suppose differently, then you're just plain ignorant. No profanity necessary.
Premier Pony Mom

Postby horsepuckies » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:53 am

Love it! I have no idea where incognito's rant came from. Was quite taken aback!
horsepuckies

Postby horsemom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:49 pm

I joined this group for the sole purpose to talk about Bill. Many of you knew him way back in his heyday and I am sure you could tell us many stories of his rise and fall. The Bill I knew was a whole different person. I only met Bill 2 and a half years ago when he came to our barn. He worked one on one with my daughter consistently. At this point in Bill’s life he seemed a little lost, broken and desperately in need of someone to believe in him. This is the Bill that I knew and grew to love. Sure, he was erratic, compulsive, and I can go on and on about the demons that he faced every day, and how he could turn a day into complete chaos, but deep down inside, there was something about Bill that drew our family in and we cared about him very much. He always had a compliment or a hug that he was willing to share. He made us laugh, that’s for sure. My daughter would tell you, that Bill made her feel secure and gave her the confidence that no other trainer has ever done. She would also tell you that he opened doors for her her riding and pushed her to do her very best. She will tell you that not only did he pass on his infinite wisdom of horsemanship, but that he was a friend. Yes, he was a bit unconventional and yet she admired his devotion to the sport and appreciated his dedication to working with her endlessly, encouraging her to believe in herself. I am proud that she saw beyond the man that most people remember (and she has heard quite a few stories about him) and yet, chose to believe in the man that she knew. She is very heartbroken over his death and I know that he knew he had friends that loved him. She will never forget the way he taught her to clean tack until it gleamed ( even at 3 am!) or the care that he took with every horse he touched, nor will the rest of my family. I am sorry that most of you remember him in the way that you do. Despite all his character flaws or whatever it was that you judge him for, I hope that he is at peace now and his teachings will continue through his many students.
horsemom

Postby horsemom » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:52 pm

I joined this group for the sole purpose to talk about Bill. Many of you knew him way back in his heyday and I am sure you could tell us many stories of his rise and fall. The Bill I knew was a whole different person. I only met Bill 2 and a half years ago when he came to our barn. He worked one on one with my daughter consistently. At this point in Bill’s life he seemed a little lost, broken and desperately in need of someone to believe in him. This is the Bill that I knew and grew to love. Sure, he was erratic, compulsive, and I can go on and on about the demons that he faced every day, and how he could turn a day into complete chaos, but deep down inside, there was something about Bill that drew our family in and we cared about him very much. He always had a compliment or a hug that he was willing to share. He made us laugh, that’s for sure. My daughter would tell you, that Bill made her feel secure and gave her the confidence that no other trainer has ever done. She would also tell you that he opened doors for her her riding and pushed her to do her very best. She will tell you that not only did he pass on his infinite wisdom of horsemanship, but that he was a friend. Yes, he was a bit unconventional and yet she admired his devotion to the sport and appreciated his dedication to working with her endlessly, encouraging her to believe in herself. I am proud that she saw beyond the man that most people remember (and she has heard quite a few stories about him) and yet, chose to believe in the man that she knew. She is very heartbroken over his death and I know that he knew he had friends that loved him. She will never forget the way he taught her to clean tack until it gleamed ( even at 3 am!) or the care that he took with every horse he touched, nor will the rest of my family. I am sorry that most of you remember him in the way that you do. Despite all his character flaws or whatever it was that you judge him for, I hope that he is at peace now and his teachings will continue through his many students.
horsemom

Next

Return to Diva Horse Show News