Northern California Summer Shows?

Discuss people, hunters, jumpers, equitation, horses, and ponies.

Northern California Summer Shows?

Postby jumpingstyle » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:50 pm

We will be moving up to San Francisco from L.A. for the summer and are considering bringing our horses (one hunter one jumper.) We've a few good leads on barns but wonder if it's worth it. Are there regular multi-day A shows in Northern California with a nice social scene? (We've Googled and become overwhelmed...) Or just a few good ones, like Menlo? We like to wine and dine and do VIP while the kids show...Thanks for any advice. 8-)
jumpingstyle

Re: Northern California Summer Shows?

Postby DieLaughing » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:50 am

If you want wine and dine, SHP and Menlo seem to be the only games left in town for that. There are some shows at Brookside that are B level, but are more of the 'brats and beer' kind of parties. Golden State is no more and I doubt they will be wine and dining at Murieta. Enjoy the Bay though. Sure is a nice place to be mid-year.
DieLaughing

Postby jumpingstyle » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks so much for the reply! What is SHP?
jumpingstyle

Postby lemmiwinks3 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:58 pm

shp = sonoma horse park
lemmiwinks3

Postby truthhurts » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:21 pm

SHS = Shit Horse Park or Sewer Horse Park...RV's are located on Manure Dump, show ground is located on a sewer...huge breakout of Pigeon Fever last few weeks that they are surpressing...may even be fatalities...any horse that shows there is exposed....last year a woman got into her car in the parking lot and the ground collapsed did not find her body for 2 days...owners are bunch of drug addicted crack heads....
truthhurts

Postby dinerosdeb » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:43 pm

@truth hurts.... Interesting take on SHP.... Don't know in which horseshow universe you exist but the SHP I attend has none of those sordid features.
It does have a laid back atmosphere, perfect footing, excellent locally sourced VIP food, and happy exhibitors.
dinerosdeb

Postby truthhurts » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 am

...i live in a universe where I dont suck on the owners tit for my paycheck.....
truthhurts

Postby dinerosdeb » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 am

@truthhurts - I don't suck, don't have to...
dinerosdeb

Postby jumpingstyle » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Wow. The Sonoma Horse Park that we have experienced this summer is lovely. The grounds are beautiful. The VIP is nice. Very friendly staff. We have yet to see anything like what was described. If we had a complaint it would be the food -- the VIP has limited/few food selections for my daughter who avoids gluten and my son who is allergic to dairy. I wish that they would offer cheese on the side for salads and entrees, etc... Also the food truck that is there for non-VIP diners has unpleasant and mostly unhealthy food. Many of the people that my kids show with have given up and are bringing their own food, but using the VIP for shade and viewing. Granted we've only been to three shows there this summer but we've seen nothing unpleasant.
jumpingstyle

Postby I Hate Peas » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, you've clearly got your finger on the pulse of the SHP horse show scene. Whereas Dinerosdeb apparently does not.

Cheese on the SIDE. Dairy and gluten products running wantonly amok, endangering your children...and countless others in the very special place where Very Special People are trying to eat. The VIP Tent.

Damn it, can't those locally sourced VIP food vendors referred to by Dinerosdeb get ANYTHING right? I bet they even put peas in the salads. Chaos reigns.

Meanwile, the Non-VIP, no-tent hoi polloi are eating "unpleasant and mostly unhealthy food." And...did you know they have to PAY for it?

Would be neat to see trainers/competitors pick their shows based on the VIP food selection. Things like arena and warm up footing, judging, good courses, good stabling, good parking, and good office staff? Meh, whatever. We want to know about the gluten situation before we will be sending OUR entries in.
I Hate Peas

Postby Iheartponies » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:40 pm

We have shown at Sonoma Horse Park a number of times. As with every venue, SHP has its pluses and minuses. Of the six rings, four (the two jumper rings, the main hunter ring, and the childrens/adult hunter ring) are great. The footing in the other two (pony/age group eq ring and the "opportunity" ring) are not so great. The schooling areas are small, and there isn't a lot of room for lunging. The ribbons are beautiful, and the first place and champion prizes are very useful. The horse show expenses rival those in SoCal, but the hotel and gas prices are way cheaper. The stabling is so-so. The exhibitor parking is very far away from the stabling area unless you pay $100 for a close space. I've never been in the VIP area. When it rains, the grounds become very slick. There's very little shade. I don't mind the food trucks.
Iheartponies

Postby truthhurts » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:26 am

...yup all the manager knows is how to party...her previous job was a party organizer for some corporation...sonoma sewer park should have been quarantined this summer for pigeon fever but they supressing tge outbreak to make more money...all those charity donations go into their pocket...and God help you when your barns are quarantined because your horse came into contact with pigeon fever....good luck with the gluten thing honey
truthhurts

Postby crowned jewel » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:49 am

The RV park is a dump

God help you if you get the stalls as the property narrows in the back, its like Indy 500 back there. But the good news if your one of the "chosen barns" your digs are not that bad.

The main jumper is awesome but the small jumper ring is crap.

The road in is from the apocalypse with major pot holes and assholes on it. In many places there is not a place for 2 vehicles to pass. Watched a jerk boarder (we saw them pull into Dusty's barn) refuse to pull over and allow a fully loaded rig and the rig ended up backing up a goodly amount so this jerk could speed to their home barn. Good job putting horses at risk on a levee road.

At least the Herman sisters are riding desks and working on something besides partying and whoring ;-)
crowned jewel

Postby Iheartponies » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:26 pm

Crowned Jewel is right about that road. It's awful. you would think for all the money that's being charged that show management would make an effort to get that access road repaved. There has been a fatality along that road too - an exhibitor wound up in a slough running parallel to the road, and no one noticed it until a pilot saw the car from up in the air. Scary.
Iheartponies

Postby truthhurts » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:25 pm

....why do you fools go there???...what's wrong with all you idiots???....seriously you guys have no other shows to throw your money at????...
Californians ate supposed to be rich and smart...not dumb and dumber
truthhurts

Postby DieLaughing » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:44 am

because people like to be wined and dined... or even in near the presence of wining and dining.
DieLaughing

Postby jumpingstyle » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:00 pm

The road is indeed terrible. And dangerous. The grounds need much more shade. There are shade structures near some of the rings for the horses but those are often occupied by parked golf carts. :( The speeding golf carts and dirt bikes in such a tight showgrounds are dangerous. The parking situation is a mess unless you buy a VIP parking spot. The staff is very friendly for the most part. Not sure if we will go back up there next summer...
jumpingstyle

Postby watdafa » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:46 pm

What happened to Rudy's Leone Equestrian shows ? Are the sisters still sleeping with him ? Crazy arrangement..........
watdafa

Postby truthhurts » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:14 pm

...those Californians are just having too much fun...anyone know details of what happened at Sewer Horse Park?...a mexican riders tack clothes were all stolen? and 20 more saddles? and then drama at Rudy Leone they threw out a whole bunch of people ffrom VIP
truthhurts

Postby watdafa » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:13 pm

Is Rudy done...?
He must be tired from screwing the sisters! Maybe they're hoping he'll have a heart attack and they get the farm !!!
watdafa

Next

Return to Diva Horse Show News