Northern California Summer Shows?

Discuss people, hunters, jumpers, equitation, horses, and ponies.

Re: Northern California Summer Shows?

Postby Iheartponies » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:16 pm

DL - Sadly, I think I'm already at that place a couple of years early. It was hotter than hell, and there was virtually no shade. Unless you paid a premium for parking, you had to walk forever from the parking lot to the stabling area. The concession areas and the horse show office were not convenient to the rest of the show grounds. It was just very expensive to be there. (A $50 "medical services" surcharge?) All things considered, I don't think I'll go back to Paso to show. I'd rather deal with the problems at SHP; at least it's more convenient.
Iheartponies

Postby jumpingstyle » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:54 pm

Just hauled in today. Very hot and dusty. The pig has fresh lipstick. The usual suspects abound. Seems like a small crowd -- is there a competing date this weekend? Or does the second week of this show draw the crowds instead? However there is an Hermes setup on the ramp to VIP! :D Gucci is gone.
jumpingstyle

Postby Stace » Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:04 am

Alot of folks went up to Bend, OR, and still others will come the 2nd week, and then down to Menlo. Some erosion of attendance due to management's extortive fees and exhibitors unhappy with how show was run last year, so some have just not attended.

I'd say it's about 3/4 full this week. NOTHING like last year. Hell, at $325 a stall for a weeK, who can blame 'em for not going.
Stace

Postby jumpingstyle » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:25 pm

That makes sense Stace. Thanks. I feel obligated to update my last post -- they made significant improvements with solid shade structures on paved berms at Hunter two and Hunter three. Complete with custom outdoor furniture and lots of pillows. Super comfortable to sit and watch classes now. Also a new raised lawn area with fun furniture for the kids and a huge picture frame to take a photo with your horse. And they finally made a sign to tell people when the VIP is open to the public (Hunter Derby and Grand Prix nights). They are also watering the grounds frequently which is helping with the dust. The cons are the same -- very expensive to show there and the new caterer serves worse food that the previous one. Also, The covered seating on the ramp to the VIP, where the non-VIP folks sit and watch classes in the Grand Prix and Hunter One has been closed off, because Hermes is displaying their horse wares there. Hopefully the new seating areas at Hunter two and three will be recreated for Jumper two!
jumpingstyle

Postby Iheartponies » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:09 pm

There were a number of shows and special events going on at the same time as the first SHP show. Stace mentioned the Bend shows. A number of NorCal barns went to San Diego for the Showpark shows and the West Coast Junior Hunter Finals. (Some of the SoCal barns were headed up to SHP after the Junior Hunter Finals to show at the Giant Steps show and the Menlo show.) We had Zone 10 riders at the NAJYRC, which was also running at the same time.

As an aside, the first Showpark show was too well attended. Saturday was the longest horse show day *ever*.
Iheartponies

Postby Iheartponies » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:52 pm

Correcting my earlier post to say that the SoCal barns were coming to SHP after the second Showpark show.
Iheartponies

Postby hjrider » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:39 am

Iheartponies wrote:There were a number of shows and special events going on at the same time as the first SHP show. Stace mentioned the Bend shows. A number of NorCal barns went to San Diego for the Showpark shows and the West Coast Junior Hunter Finals. (Some of the SoCal barns were headed up to SHP after the Junior Hunter Finals to show at the Giant Steps show and the Menlo show.) We had Zone 10 riders at the NAJYRC, which was also running at the same time.

As an aside, the first Showpark show was too well attended. Saturday was the longest horse show day *ever*.

That firs showpark show was crazy.. I have never heard of them having to use the palm tree ring before
hjrider

Postby jumpingstyle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Our kid's trainer just posted our summer show schedule and yes indeed back to Sonoma... :/ Wish List: MORE SHADE! My God that place is hot and sunny, PLEASE build more shade structures. We have given up on the food there (unhealthy food truck only option) ... And the pony ring, the one across the bridge, PLEASE add seating there -- it's a wildly busy weekend ring with comfortable seating for around 8 people and then an old set of metal bleachers that I saw an elderly man fall off of last year. Dozens of people ie: parents, the ones who PAY for the horses and the shows, standing around with no seating or shade -- the only ring there with this setup... And sometimes they have the rated Eq. or hunters in there... Wonder what they have in store for us this year?
jumpingstyle

Postby DieLaughing » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 pm

I think the real question now is, who gives a s*** about the northern California show circuit.
DieLaughing

Postby Stace » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 am

DieLaughing wrote:I think the real question now is, who gives a s*** about the northern California show circuit.

Sigh.....no one. Sonoma shows might still hold some cred--top barns, nice facility. Woodsides will do ok. That's it.
Many folks just going south to Oaks or north to Bend. PCHA points is the race now. Nor Cal as a location and an association is fading.
Stace

Postby OldMare » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:36 pm

NorCal Hunter Jumper Association Awards NorCal Medal Finals to Sacramento International

West Palms Event Management
February 20, 2018
Sacramento International to Host NorCal Hunter Jumper Medal Finals
Prestigious NorCal Medal Finals to be Held at Newly Improved and Upgraded Murieta Equestrian Center

Sacramento International is proud to announce that the 2018 NorCal Hunter Jumper Association Medal Finals will take place at the Sacramento International Welcome Week horse show held at the Murieta Equestrian Center.

"We are thrilled to introduce the Sacramento International Welcome Week Host of the NorCal Medal Finals," said Dale Harvey, CEO of West Palms Events. "It's an honor to be able to provide the region's best equitation riders with a fitting surrounding as they compete to win these coveted medal championship titles. The NorCal Medal Finals will be a feature event during a week of exceptional horse showing. We look forward to making this event a very special experience for these riders, trainers and their horses."

The NorCal Hunter Jumper Association offers four distinct medal opportunities: the NorCal Junior Medal 3'6, the NorCal Senior Medal 3'6, the NorCal Pony Medal, and the NorCal 3' Medal. All four of these medal final events will take place on Saturday and Sunday during the Sacramento International Welcome Week Host of the Norcal Medal Finals held September 26-30.

"The NorCal Medal Finals is the most prestigious event offered by the NorCal Hunter Jumper Association," said Jennifer Lea Lampton, President. "We could not be more pleased that this year the finals will be hosted by Sacramento International. We wish all our members the best of luck in qualifying for the medal finals this year, and we look forward to seeing all qualified riders at Sacramento International."

Murieta Inn & Spa

NorCal Hunter Jumper Association members will have access to a special reserved block of hotel rooms at the newly opened Murieta Inn & Spa, located within walking distance of the Murieta Equestrian Center.

Stay up to date on all our exciting events and the 2018 show season by
visiting our website and following us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Lindsey Long for West Palms Events
OldMare

Postby DieLaughing » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:41 am

Say what you will about Adrian Ward, but I will always miss the way he ran that show, even when he and Rudy ran it together. It was something special. The day of the second and last round of the finals was 80% about those classes. Not three other arenas of walk trot and ammy hunters to get thru. Finals, classics, a handful of jumpers and end. Sadly, these finals will get buried in the great machine that is West Palms and will become like every other "finals" out there... just another class to get thru for the back gates so they can get to the grand prix that night and then go home.
DieLaughing

Postby jumpingstyle » Sat May 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Hmmmm... So crazy KMS-FH has indicated that she won't be showing for a bit in NorCal this summer as she wants to see other parts of the USA. Imagine our surprise when we saw her suspension due to Firestone coming up dirty. :o :roll:
jumpingstyle

Postby Martha S » Sat May 12, 2018 4:25 pm

jumpingstyle wrote:Hmmmm... So crazy KMS-FH has indicated that she won't be showing for a bit in NorCal this summer as she wants to see other parts of the USA. Imagine our surprise when we saw her suspension due to Firestone coming up dirty. :o :roll:

Not surprising.... what did the horse te
Martha S

Postby Martha S » Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Martha S wrote:
jumpingstyle wrote:Hmmmm... So crazy KMS-FH has indicated that she won't be showing for a bit in NorCal this summer as she wants to see other parts of the USA. Imagine our surprise when we saw her suspension due to Firestone coming up dirty. :o :roll:

Not surprising.... what did the horse te

what did the horse test for? Well, that's a learning lesson for her kids IF she has told them why they can't show under her. :oops:
Martha S

Postby Stace » Sun May 13, 2018 12:13 am

It was Lidocaine and/or derivatives. Sorry, threw out the magazine already, but as I recall, it was not a long suspension. She was showing this week somewhere, won a blue ribbon.

Does one inject Lidocaine!?!? Or is it only topical?
Stace

Postby Libby » Sun May 13, 2018 6:47 am

Stace wrote:It was Lidocaine and/or derivatives. Sorry, threw out the magazine already, but as I recall, it was not a long suspension. She was showing this week somewhere, won a blue ribbon.

Does one inject Lidocaine!?!? Or is it only topical?
p

Paso Robles schooling show
Libby

Postby Libby » Sun May 13, 2018 6:57 am

DieLaughing wrote:Say what you will about Adrian Ward, but I will always miss the way he ran that show, even when he and Rudy ran it together. It was something special. The day of the second and last round of the finals was 80% about those classes. Not three other arenas of walk trot and ammy hunters to get thru. Finals, classics, a handful of jumpers and end. Sadly, these finals will get buried in the great machine that is West Palms and will become like every other "finals" out there... just another class to get thru for the back gates so they can get to the grand prix that night and then go home.

West palm events ..sigh. The new venue is not great. Dale has lots of loyal peeps tho. PR horse park is far superior
Libby

Re: .....and Paso is canceled.

Postby Stace » Sun May 13, 2018 3:36 pm

.....and Dale's spring shows are CANCELLED. Lack of entries? Linda Starkman get's the last laff.
Stace

Postby jumpingstyle » Mon May 14, 2018 4:51 pm

I stand corrected- someone just showed me that it was a fine and not a suspension. ;)
jumpingstyle

Previous

Return to Diva Horse Show News