Derby Final Blahs!

Discuss people, hunters, jumpers, equitation, horses, and ponies.

Re: Derby Final Blahs!

Postby complimentary » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:51 pm

So funny cause people were cheering for John French's ride and I felt it was a masterful ride on a horse that looks like it needed riding every single stride and was in a pelham and he had the curb rein tighter than the snaffle rein. Someone posted on facebook what a great horse and it was going to be ridden by a Chidlren's hunter type or some such next year and I thought, really? That horse? That entire trip was micro managed by a genius rider, LOL.
I enjoy the Derbies but they are absolutely NOT what they were intended to be, they are not the savior of the hunter division but a great bridge between the Working Hunters and the low Jumper Divisions. Hmmm, European Imports rule the roost and most of the good ones are Jumpers that have style.
complimentary

Postby Stace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:47 pm

I enjoy the Derbies but they are absolutely NOT what they were intended to be, they are not the savior of the hunter division but a great bridge between the Working Hunters and the low Jumper Divisions. Hmmm, European Imports rule the roost and most of the good ones are Jumpers that have style.

YEP!!!! I agree and disagree. First of all John is a master and most everything goes brilliantly for him. No wonder some kid's parents think it will be a great child's horse. lol.

Second of all, the derbies really did save the hunter division --at first. But now, Complimentary, I sadly agree. It's nothing more than a forum for $4 chasing, braiding the jumpers and posing them as hunters for one derby. The beautiful, good moving, flowing trip of a true hunter is lost in the derbies. Very disappointing to see so many ugly trips--though brilliantly jumped, between the jumps is not what I want to see in the hunters.
Stace

Postby Stace » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:49 pm

YEP!!!! I agree and disagree. First of all John is a master and most everything goes brilliantly for him. No wonder some kid's parents think it will be a great child's horse. lol.

Second of all, the derbies really did save the hunter division --at first. But now, Complimentary, I sadly agree. It's nothing more than a forum for $$ chasing, braiding the jumpers and posing them as hunters for one derby. The beautiful, good moving, flowing trip of a true hunter is lost in the derbies. Very disappointing to see so many ugly trips--though brilliantly jumped, between the jumps is not what I want to see in the hunters.
Stace

Postby Mystara » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:27 am

Stace wrote:though brilliantly jumped, between the jumps is not what I want to see in the hunters.

But that's been the hunters in a nutshell, for at least the last 25yrs+.

Hell, even Rox Dene wasn't that great of a mover between fences... at all.
But she jumped with near perfection at every fence, so she won everything.

Hunters have been that way ever since. Certainly nothing new.
Mystara

Previous

Return to Diva Horse Show News